Thursday, December 27, 2012

Life as a Vegan - Day 1

It's been a rough day. Normally the first few days of any completely new diet are easy for me, but I woke up this morning and was completely congested, and my sore throat was still sore. As one who absolutely detests when sick people go to the gym (which is probably why IM sick now!), I hung up my gym bag, turned off my alarm, and crawled back into bed. So much for hoping it was just a 48 hour cold (...do those really exist anyhow?).

The only time I mustered enough motivation to venture outside today (in the rain, of course), was to go pick up some Vegan supplies for the coming weeks;

Here is what I got:

Sun Warrior Raw Vegan vanilla
protein powder

  • Sun Warrior Raw Vegan (dairy-free, gluten-free) vanilla protein powder
    • This is a great source of (almost) pure protein! And I bet you're thinking it doesn't taste very good, but it is actually not that bad!
  • Elderberry juice 
    • This is to nurse my sore throat and stuffy nose - and I have to be honest, it doesn't taste as good as I thought it would :(.
  • Udo's Choice Adult's Blend Probiotika
    • I've been using this for a while, as it is excellent for digestion and intestinal health. I usually take one pill after my evening meal, and my tummy stays happy!
  • Aurion Gluten-free porridge
    • I've also been eating this for a while - it's delicious! I get bored with oatmeal, so it is good to switch it up with this one. Plus, it is an excellent source of protein and fiber!
  • Linseeds (Flax seeds)
    • Udo's Choice Adult's Blend
      Probiotika
    • These are loaded with fiber and omega-3 fatty acids - to be sprinkled on my salads or morning oatmeal/porridge!
  • Pumpkin seeds
    • Pumpkin seeds contain a great deal of zinc, vitamin E, and other antioxidants. I plan on using these to keep my meals interesting.
  • Almond butter
    • A great source of protein, antioxidants, fiber, and mono-saturated fats. It is a great alternative to peanut butter 
  • Raw dark chocolate
    • I found Vegan chocolate!!
My Vegan starter kit (tofu not pictured :))!

No comments:

Post a Comment